2015-07-15

caos log


Let's see:
  • never put comments on the same line as commands even if it looks like it works just don't
  • tint seems to behave weirdly (eg. retrieving the wrong pose entirely, not to mention changing pose without any pose command) if it's run around world load time. Tempting to experiment with it but leaving it for until I have an agent that might need to use tint around world load time.
  • Which probably won't be for a while. Leery of the 'copies entire tinted gallery to world save, even if only one sprite is used' caveat. Making me wonder about my tinted creatures, and how much they might have to do with performance creep. Pretty sure that data is serialized, so there's nothing I can do to 'clean it out' unless I find a garbage collection command specifically for it (trash unused sprites)...?
  • This is doubly annoying to me since worlds don't serialize required sprite or sound files, or even have any kind of option to, destroying portability. But yes, let's cache every single shade of blue every grendel has ever been.
  • I am curious what 'original display engine only' means, exactly, regarding tino's documentation.
  • I prefer the alphabetical manual, actually.
  • inst means 'instant', not 'install', which had always tripped me, since in tutorials I only very very rarely saw it outside of an install script.
  • I do not seem able to get pat: butt's hover animation to work. It's just as well, I'm not a fan. I also can't remember anywhere in the base game a hover animation is functioning, come to think of it.
  • GOG DS seems very, very confused about where catalogue files go.
  • The collision message (6) is picky about when it triggers-- it doesn't seem to trigger for minor bounces and bumps. I'm guessing physics is slightly different on that scale, to spare expensive calculations when stuff is just rolling around. Or it could be something entirely different.
  • Here is a handy command for getting the elas, aero, fric, accg and perm of hots all in one go. Handy for getting an idea of the 'scale' of each property, since the docs give little, and a bird in the hand was always the better reference anyway, or something like that. I have a small table in my notes.
    targ hots outs " elas: " outv elas outs " aero: " outv aero outs " fric: " outv fric outs " accg: " outv accg outs " perm: " outv perm
  • I need to fix caos.vim to understand elif properly, maybe.



    Not likely to be the intended behavior.
Maybe all this stuff was obvious to everyone else. But not me!

I also maybe am wrong about a lot of things.

Having a reliable archive of the CDN pages available would help. I could swear there is, or used to be, a community-, not archive.org-, hosted one. I vastly prefer the community hosting because it is slightly more likely to work or even have files.

I made a new world today.


It's charming and pungent in there. I have it loaded up with some ancient Creatures Caves adopts for now-- I have no idea what I'm doing with it other than having a grendel-themed ship to kick around.


I'm out of my element in the creatures part of creatures, if that wasn't obvious by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

active blogs i found