2015-07-20

reps 10


  • Spent most of day getting DS working in some manner of Linux. It does, with a bit of effort. (Thanks RProgrammer.) Next step is getting the process easy to duplicate+redistributable, which I have acquired some ideas about (thanks Wight), because the state of DS on Linux is, like most other games ported during the GTK1 days, abysmal.
  • I'd like to write a full-blown tutorial on it, since the only documentation I've been able to find on it is word-of-mouth, but I can pass on the information for anyone searching-- if you want to set up Linux explicitly to install Docking Station, and aren't experienced with Unix beforehand, don't. It will turn you off of it in no time flat.
  • Notably, DS requires GTK 1.2, which I was vaguely aware and apprehensive of (GTK1 has essentially been 'deprecated' by Debian executive decision and has to be installed without managerial help), but no one tells you before you go in. 
  • Also got git repo going, though I'm not confident it's going the way I want it to be. There's a link on the patch page. Good enough for now-- good enough I can clone it to a new install and have everything ready. Will probably make a second, private repo for others' patches, so I can have a similar one-step process.
  • Plan to start isolating my worlds/projects (eg. geat-oriented install, ecology-oriented install) to their own VMs for performance reasons in general-- Creatures engine just doesn't do well with a lot of mods ready to go in the game, as it has to be aware of all of them all the time.
  • This might be a little too intense. Metric being I have spent far more time modifying this game than playing it. Like Morrowind, though, that's half the fun, isn't it?
  • Tired now. Zzz.
  • Rewarding myself by watching my grendels beat each other up, run around, and scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

active blogs i found